Tuesday, August 23, 2016

***It's busting chops day***

I've done a mini sprint Tri almost two years ago and a sprint 3 year ago. That's it in my tri life. I am a runner. I've done several races, including 2 50k's, at Delaware State Park alone. Countless miles in general there actually.
This has been overall one of my worst training cycles.
From new home owner and trying to keep up with all it entails;
Parenting a now almost two year old whom loves the outdoors;
Working the erratic hours of a union Ironworker 5-7 days a week;
Classes two nights a week;
Trying to wake up at 4a to train and if I get off work on time training before kid pick up or class;
I've taken my fair share of excuses to catch up some needed and wanted sleep.
I've taken my fair share of time to still try and be a family man.
But then on Father's Day, I put piece of shale stone through the bottom of my foot and took me out of training for 10 days. And walking for 5.
The final weekend of July, I made joke after joke about getting E. coli, and appear to be the only one who actually contracted it. Another 5 days lost.
So here I am 4th consecutive weekend of overtime awaits me, the last weekend that may be of any use towards training. After work, I'll on the bike hoping for any bit useful time I can get. 

I feel bad for my friend Kate who started training for this with me, in hopes there would be a way she could get in, buy a bib, etc. Rare opportunity to do an Ironman event in her back yard, starting at our favorite local park to run.
Obviously, no such luck.
But she still trains with me.

I watch complaint and fear on post after post.

Look, a lot of you have done this before, a lot of you haven't, and some of us haven't done the distance.
When you signed up, did you not know what this event entailed?
When you signed up, did you not know where this event was?
When you signed up, did you not know when this event was?

At this point, if you didn't, you should know by now.
Swimming in a man made lake where the alligators of Ohio (geese) like to poop, so there's a chance of E. coli. Probably a good one. Take it from me, YOU WILL BE FINE! I'm living proof. I got E. coli, didn't die and didn't miss work.
Biking in rural Ohio. Roads can suck. Be smart. If you're not riding to win something or beat a previous time, then you're riding to finish it. 
Running in rural Ohio mid August. Prepare to sweat like you didn't know you could. The humidity will be your reaper.

Long story short, we're past attention seeking time. Put up or shut up. People really want to be in your position of just participating in this event but can't, and you're thinking about a DNS because you may have to poop for a week? Go without a wetsuit? Have a bumpy ride for a stretch? Sweat running the only hill on the course once?
I'm not pointing any fingers, but if you feel that way, you have something to reconcile with yourself.

I am miserably undertrained.
I am miserably underprepared.
In 17 days, I had better see you at DSP.
#GetTheFuckUpOnIt
#OHIM
Kirk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment