Friday, September 30, 2011

The Journey: Part II

Press play please. Enjoy the new anthem of my runs.

Wow. Just Wow.
Fifteen weeks.
Fifteen months ago, there was a complacency in my life that was starting to accept that I had tried to lose weight, and I had tried hard but I just couldn't do it. I was meant for this no matter how much I tried and wanted it to not be true. I saw a saying today that summed up my way of life as I look back on it; DO or DO NOT, there is no TRY. I can convince everyone all day long that I was trying, fact of the matter was, I wasn't doing.
On a short side note, I do have to hand out some credit in my period of DO NOT, Kettlebell Bob taught me one important thing that has insanely assisted me since I have started the period of DO. Endurance is between the ears, not below them. My first two weeks of kettlebells I wanted to end when said I couldn't do anymore, but he generally ended them when I dropped to the floor or in front of a waste basket. Another quote; Laziness is the habit of resting before you are tired. 
Most of my runs start with the same thought; Ugh. How am I gonna make it 2.5 miles, I struggling out of the parking lot.
Most of my runs end with the same thought; Well that was a stupid thought to have.
JUST DO!
Back to the point- Fifteen weeks
I finally decided on the demise of my former self and committed to a new way of living fifteen weeks ago.
I pulled a Forrest Gump and I just started running. And then I ran some more. And when I finished with that, I just decided to run back.
For my Toledo friends, and well I guess anyone else that can get access to Google Maps, (keep in mind I wasn't keeping track of mileage when I started running, that start three weeks in) I have roughly ran the distance FROM Comerica Park in Detroit TO The Great American Ball Park in Cincinatti (via I-75). Similarly for my Cleveland bro's and gals, Progressive Field to The GABP. Over 260 miles. Fifteen weeks.
Week Eight, I ran my first 5K in a time of 38:35.
Week Thirteen, I ran my first 10K in a time of 1:15:09.
Week Fourteen, I ran my second 5K in a time of 36:06.
I departed with the goal of murdering 126 pounds. Fifteen weeks, I am already more than a third of the way, about to break the 50 pound mark.
It's weird to think about, how long has this mental roadblock been keeping me down. I don't even know why, but now that I have conquered it I am looking down the road at the adventure I am creating, I am anxious. I am excited to look back at what I will have accomplished. I am hungry for new satisfaction, something video games, fantasy sports, sitting on my ass indoors can no longer provide.
I am going to complete the Warrior Dash. Will you come with me?
I am going to complete the Pelotonia 43 mile trek. Will you come with me?
I am lining up 5K's(First On The First, Dublin Irish Festival) and at least one quarter and one half marathon(Emerald City). Will you come with me?
I want to lead a group of my outdoor loving friends down a mud slide, through a lake, up a hill on bike and through a cold morning on foot. Will you come with me?
I want to look back at the end of next year at everything I have accomplished, and know I earned this. Will you share that feeling with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment